Fertilizer and Soil Amendments
Twigs Garden Center has a great selection of fertilizers and amendments for your garden. We carry basic plant fertilizers, starter and specific fertilizers and compost supplies.
At Twigs, you will find top of the line garden soil that is combines compost, perlite, sphagnum moss and natural plant foods. We also carry basic top soil, sphagnum moss, and manure.
Twigs has a great selection of mulching products as well. What is Mulch?
Mulch is a layer of material placed on the soil surface to conserve moisture, hold down weeds and improve soil structure and fertility.
THE BENEFITS OF MULCHING
- Conserving moisture…. Wind and soil can’t dry out the soil.
- Inhabiting weed growth … weeds can’t get a foothold.
- Improving soil structure.
- Protecting plants during the winter months by reducing the dangers of freezing temperatures.
- Mulch acts as an insulating blanket… keeping soil warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Mulch when turned under in the fall, enriches the garden soil.
- Adds a 'top dressed' asthetic to the garden.
- Soil Pep - the smallest cut of mulch, great for Perennial beds.
- Small, Medium, and Shredded Bark.
- Compost or Compost/Manure Blends that top-dress and add a fertilizing agent simultaneously.
WHAT TYPE OF MULCH SHOULD I USE?
Using soil pep and compost is recommended in flower gardens because the components will break down over time, allowing flowers to re-seed themselves. Bark is a heavier mulch that breaks down much more slowly and therefore does not allow for re-seeding. Bark is recommended to be used around shrubs and trees.